Professor Lin Yun, Feng Shui practitioner, philosopher and scientist, shares simple backyard landscaping ideas and useful tips to Feng Shui garden design. The breeze – feng, clean water – shui, sunlight, rocks and green plants are main elements of beautiful yard and garden design, he says.
The Chinese ancient art of positioning objects in a garden, including garden furniture, plants, bridges, rocks and garden decorations, is based on a belief in patterns of yin and yang and the flow of chi that create positive and negative effects.
Good Feng Shui garden design creates a peaceful, quiet and eco clean place. A garden should be far from industrial sites and well protected from major roads noise or pollution. Polluted places destroy the energy that brings good luck. Fresh breeze and clean water attract money and improve health.
Chinese garden design inspiration
Feng Shui tips for garden design
1. According to Feng Shui design recommendations, the house, backyard and garden should be protected from negative environmental impacts.
Good Feng Shui garden design and backyard landscaping ideas include a natural barrier for protection and privacy. Your garden or backyard must be surrounded by a natural fence that reduces noise, wind and air pollution.
In ancient times Chinese built their villages in the valleys of the mountains. Their farms prospered, because of a natural barrier, which protected farms from strong cold winds and attacks of enemies.
2. Good Feng Shui garden design and backyard landscaping ideas should include elements that help create a sense of security and comfort. Large rocks, stone walls and rock gardens are beautiful and modern garden ideas. Trees and bushes, combined for designing a natural fence, or an artificial fence, decorated with green plants and flowers, can be used as an attractive and functional natural barrier for your garden also.
3. The energy flow Qi, the life force in Feng Shui philosophy, is everywhere. Good Feng Shui garden design and backyard landscaping create open spaces with shrubs, small plants and flowers that allow free flow of the life force.
4. It is important to create an open area in front of the house doors to allow the Qi energy freely flow inside the house and around, bringing positive changes. Do not plant large trees close to the front door. Good Feng Shui garden design and backyard decorating ideas should be simple, open and welcoming.
5. Another principle of good Feng Shui garden and backyard designs is ‘the mountain is behind and water is in front.’ The water element attracts chi energy that brings money into your home. According to Feng Shui design philosophy, water is a symbol of wealth.
A swimming pool or pond with goldfish and water plants, a fountain or waterfall with rocks and grasses are necessary to Feng Shui garden design, front yard or backyard landscaping ideas.
6. Good Feng Shui garden design and backyard landscaping ideas include three elements: water, rocks and plants. Simple and decorative rock gardens are wonderful elements to Feng Shui garden designs in Eastern style. A rock garden can be an artificial barrier, which reflects the negative energy and protect a house, backyard and garden.
7. Feng Shui plants require special attention. Plants and flowers will add colors and aroma to your backyard garden. Planting flowers, grasses, shrubs and trees in accordance with Bagua color theory will create more balanced backyard landscaping ideas and add harmony and beauty to your garden design.
Each plant generates, uses and stores energy. To balance energy flow, each area of your garden or backyard should have a particular color palette, created with your favorite plants and flowers.
8. Backyard landscaping specialists and Feng Shui practitioners recommend to use white flowers that add a splash of fresh light color and help balance monochromatic green garden design.
9. Large trees should not be planted close to a house. Large trees trap the energy, flowing into a house, and send it to their roots. Trees and shrubs are great backyard landscaping ideas. They make a natural fence and protect front yard, house backyard and garden. (Feng Shui home, front door and entry)
10. Proportions are important in Feng Shui garden design. Very tall trees may destroy the balance and harmony in your garden. Plant trees and shrubs with a slight difference in height to enjoy interesting and pleasing to the eyes backyard landscaping.
11. Garden decorations, patio furniture and attractive objects in your garden make backyard landscaping ideas more comfortable, personal and inviting, creating a relaxing garden atmosphere. The sound of murmuring water soothes and calms, and bamboo wind chimes, hanging in your garden, evoke pleasant memories and help relax.
Decorating with indoor plants to improve air quality
Add house plants to home decor to improve air quality
Green home decor that cleans the air, top eco-friendly house plants